Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Blackberry Crumble

All summer, I have been watching the neighbour's blackberry vines descend over my cedar hedges. I even make a half-hearted attempt to trim them back every now and again.

Why half-hearted? Because these ugly vines:


Produce these beautiful fruit!


And I don't have to reach my hands into a prickly deathbush to get them either - they are cascading over the wall! So I decided to take my bounty and make a crumble.

I had 2 cups of blackberries, and I added two cups of mixed raspberries and blueberries (bought at local fruit stand and then frozen):


Onto the four cups of fruit is about 3/4 cup of sugar (depending on how sweet your fruit is).


Give it a bit of a stir.


To make the crumble, combine flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, and a bit of salt.


Cut in butter til, well, crumbley.


Butter an 8" baking pan. Mmmmm ... butter ....


Add berry sugar mixture.


Cover with crumbley stuff.


Bake until topping is golden, maybe 30 minutes. Best to let it cool for an hour or so, else the molten fruit will scald your tongue.


Blackberry Crumble
4 cups fresh blackberries or any combination of berries
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. quick cooking oats
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. butter

Place berries in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar; gently mix.

In another bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in bowl; give a good stir. Cut in butter until crumbly.

Spoon fruit into buttered baking dish. Sprinkle crumbles over top evenly.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool about an hour. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

No comments: